Resume of Tommy Stanton:
Computer programmer, UCLA Graduate
City of residence: Los Angeles, CA
- Three years of experience programming in Java 8
- Six years of experience programming in object-oriented Perl 5
- Seven years of experience writing automated testing software and library documentation
- Eight years of experience using Git, yielding aptitude in version control
- Ten years of GNU/Linux usage, with proficiency in the command-line interface
Live Nation Entertainment (LNE), Los Angeles, CA (2013 - 2018)
- LNE produces and promotes live events (Live Nation) and distributes tickets (Ticketmaster).
Software Engineer (Verified Fan project)
- Served as an original member of the team that created Verified Fan, a Ticketmaster product that minimizes the secondary market by protecting primary inventory.
- Developed a RESTful API that wraps legacy web services, to enable new functionality pertaining to offer code generation and authentication.
- Authored a new web service that provides registration and notification APIs, persisting registrant data and then later retrieving datasets in order to notify selected fans via SMS or e-mail.
- Consolidated 3 API endpoints used for notification into 1, making sensible use of query string parameters to choose code paths, underpinned by unit and integration tests.
- Utilized Java 8 streams operations ('filter', 'map', and 'collect') to transform records from a NoSQL data store, coercing them into POJOs (Plain Old Java Objects) upon retrieval.
Software Engineer (Two-factor authentication project)
- Served as an original member of the task force created to reduce account takeovers on ticketmaster.com.
- Contributed to development of a two-factor authentication system, implemented in Java and powered by PostgreSQL.
- Designed and test-drove development of a web-based administrative UI, implemented in Spring Framework and HTML 5, empowering in house support to unblock fans.
- Conducted large refactorings of the code base’s controller, flattening nested if-else logic into a data structure of use cases (following the Rule of Representation), ensuring long-term maintainability.
Software Engineer (CCP Project)
- Fostered a culture of wiki documentation and sensible Git commits as a member of the pilot team commissioned for Consolidated Consumer Platform (CCP), a large code base powering the e-commerce experience of ticket buyers today.
- Mentored a junior software engineer through Ticketmaster's apprenticeship program by contriving programming assignments for the apprentice, supported with code review and pair programming.
Software Engineer (Ticketmaster Online)
- Assessed web frameworks in Modern Perl (Catalyst, Dancer, Mojolicious, Kelp) and in Node.js (Flatiron, Express) for powering a new web application related to Live Nation Concerts.
- Wrote unit tests while developing a new API, thereby avoiding technical debt.
- Fixed minor bugs in the back end Perl logic used by ticketmaster.com.
- Gave a tech talk about test-driven development of Node.js web applications at the office.
- Authored wiki pages for our web content management (WCM) and service-oriented architecture (SOA) systems.
Informatics Corporation of America (ICA), Nashville, TN (2011 - 2013)
- ICA offers a software platform used to process, display, and manage electronic medical records.
- Automated software installation and configuration of development virtual machines via shell scripting.
- Maintained Integration toolchain of Perl-powered getopt command-line programs, used for workflow and analysis.
- Configured an outgoing feed
for the immunization registry of the state of Kansas, transmitted via SSL-encrypted HTTP POST.
- Released WebService::Mirth, a Perl interface to a RESTful API, on the CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network).
ValueClick Media, Westlake Village, CA (2010 - 2011)
- ValueClick Media is an ad-serving intermediary between online advertisers and publishers.
- Maintained internal administrative web applications used for optimizing ad campaign performance.
- Designed and coded reporting tools using Catalyst (a Perl-powered MVC) and REST.
- Introduced Scrum team of twelve programmers to test-driven development.
TigerLead Solutions, Los Angeles, CA (2009 - 2010)
- TigerLead Solutions provides a lead generation and management system to subscribing real estate agencies.
- Wrote business logic in Perl, used to administer the normalization of dozens of MLS feeds—transforming XML payloads into database table inserts—containing thousands of listings.
- Collaborated with consultant Tim Bunce (author of DBI) in writing DBIx::Class (a Perl-powered ORM) code, then testing with DBIx::Class::Fixtures against a PostgreSQL database.
Bel Air Presbyterian Church, Los Angeles, CA (2008 - 2009)
- Bel Air Presbyterian Church is a multi-million dollar non-profit organization.
IT Support Technician
- Maintained computer infrastructure using Windows Server.
- Assisted staff with computer issues, using SysAid Help Desk software for ticketing.
Bachelor of Arts in Ethnomusicology, University of California at Los Angeles, 2008
Program in Computing (UCLA Mathematics department) courses:
- PIC 10A - Introduction to Programming (C++)
- PIC 10B - Intermediate Programming (C++ data structures and object-oriented programming)
Regular attendee of The Perl Conference and local contributor to Perl Mongers and JS.LA user groups
Bluegrass musician: banjo, guitar, fiddle
- Re-founded, directed,
and instructed the
UCLA Bluegrass Ensemble, in which undergraduate and
graduate students enroll and perform for course credit.
The ensemble is vibrant and has brought several freshmen
to UCLA's Ethnomusicology department in recent years,
solidifying my legacy and contribution to bluegrass
music in California.
Served as President of the Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) Fraternity at UCLA
- Planned, organized, and executed events for recruitment, along with socials (in collaboration with other Greek organizations). Conducted weekly meetings and ensured that dues were collected.
- GNU/Linux: Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS
- Programming: Perl 5, Perl 6, Java 8, SQL, HTML 5, CSS, GNU Bash, Node.js, JSON, YAML, XML
- Perl 5 modules: Moose, DBI, DBIx::Class, Catalyst, DateTime, Dist::Zilla, Template, HTML::Mason
- Java projects: JUnit, Mockito, Spring Framework
- Database: PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, Oracle ("OCDB"), HSQLSDB
- HTTP server: Apache, nginx, FastCGI, CGI
- Documentation: Pod, Mediawiki, Markdown, PlantUML
- Command-line interface (CLI): GNU Screen, Vim, ack (grep), GNU Emacs, GNU ed, Jshon